14/08/2020

How fair is the Chevening Awards selection process?

Every year the British government provides the Chevening Scholarships which is considered to be one of the most coveted and highly competitive scholarship awards. The awardees receive tuition fees to complete their master’s degree program in the UK, monthly living allowance an economy class return airfare to the UK, and additional grants and allowances to cover essential expenditure.

I knew about this scholarship in 2016 through someone who was a recipient of a similar scholarship. The Chevening website mentions that they are looking for future leaders and influencers who have a strong academic background. 

I was awarded the best graduating student from the Ace Institute of Management for excellence in my academics and leadership skills. At that point, I was already working as a Business Reporter in a leading English Language and publishing lead stories on tourism, business, and entrepreneurship. Moreover, I was also the Concept Director and Host of “Youth in Entrepreneurship”, an English language talk show aired in Radio Reeyaz. Further, I was also the semi-finalist of Nepal’s Top 7 Debaters and had anchored Youth television Show on national television. In 2016, I first applied for the scholarship, I scored 7 in my IELTS and also got offer letters from two out of the three universities I had applied for. I was shortlisted and reached the interview stage. However, I did not make it.

Despite, having a strong academic background and a huge potential to lead I was denied this scholarship. I reapplied it the next year and again reached the interview stage. I was confident and gave my best hoping that I would make it in the second year. However, I was rejected once more. I was shocked to see that the awardees were all men that year. I was frustrated because I was not selected, but after witnessing it was only men who were selected for the scholarship from Nepal, I was disgusted. All the men who got selected that year were qualified and deserving, and I do not hold anything against them. But coming this from an institution that boasts of being inclusive and working for women empowerment felt strange. I am sure there were women who were equally if not more deserving who applied that year but not even one got selected and it is a shame.

Chevening Scholars 2018/19 from Nepal (This picture clearly shows all men were selected. Where is inclusion? How fair is the selection process? (Source: Facebook UK in Nepal)


This was an eye-opener for me. We still live in a society where men are given so much more preference and organizations too back that up. I did a lot of soul searching that year. I was devastated but I wasn’t tired. I knew I had to work doubly hard to prove my worth. I applied for all the possible programs, seminars, professional networks that I came across that matched my ambitions. I was selected out of 1800+ applicants to be a part of the US Embassy Youth Council in 2018/19. I was offered a place at F1Soft International, Nepal’s leading fintech company where I am still working as Corporate Communications Manager. I did a lot of things in that year and then again applied for the scholarship. This time, Chevening did not reject me right after the interview but placed me as a reserved candidate. I was confident to make it this year. But then, I don’t know why even this year I did not make it.

After applying for three times, and being rejected I have become more confident than ever.  I have given all that I could to the selection process and I have learned a lot in this journey. I am no more frustrated for I couldn’t make it. Because now I know it was never me. This has left me wondering, “How fair is the Chevening Awards selection process?” 

Chevening Rejection Galore! 




Despite getting accepted by leading universities in the UK, despite getting a high score in the IELTS for thrice and despite having a strong academic background, despite having leadership and networking qualities. Above all, despite having stellar application essays and reaching the interview stage not once but thrice: 









4 comments:

  1. Omg! Never knew this before. Thank you for expressing and letting us know about this. Even I was thinking of applying next year to this scholarship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Prakriti, thanks for writing. I would still encourage you to apply. Learn from my experience but walk your own path.

      Delete
  2. reminded me of the two times in 2019 UK rejected my tourist visa. I really hope that you don't put yourself down because of what happened, and keep on doing your best in life. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is a very well written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post. I’ll definitely return.mobile credit card terminal

    ReplyDelete

QR code payments: For financial inclusion

With innovation in the payment systems in Nepal, people are shifting gears from cash to digital payments. Cash remains the king, as 97 per c...