07/06/2016

“Nepal is still beautiful and alive”


“I feel like I have a deep connection with this beautiful country,” says, Susan Sarandon, who was in Nepal to promote tourism which will help rebuild the country. She spoke with Abhilasha Rayamajhi on how she is encouraging people across the globe to visit Nepal. Excerpts:

What is the impression that you have of Nepal and Nepali people?
It is an unusual experience. Nepal is still beautiful and alive. I find Nepali people brave and resilient; they are coping with everything with a smile on their face. It is heartbreaking to see the destruction around. Nepal has suffered a lot but it is not as bad as the media has portrayed. Many businesses are still running, shops and restaurants are still open. I am positive that Nepal will bounce back again.
How are you connected to Nepal and its people?
His Holiness is a friend and that is how I am supporting Live to Love International. I had nominated Pushpa Basnet for CNN Heroes. I will also meet Pushpa and the children and I am quite excited about it! I had heard a lot about the rich cultural heritage of Nepal and I have always wanted to visit. Nepal has suffered a lot in terms of lives lost, structural damage to cultural heritages, economic regression and I thought that this would be the right time to come to Nepal to lend a helping hand. I know that Nepal is a great place for trekking and other adventures. The traditional wood work, handicrafts and art are spectacular; visiting once is just not enough.
How do you plan to encourage travel to Nepal?
I plan to use social media as a platform to showcase the beauty that Nepal holds. The resilience with which Nepalis are moving on from this disaster is commendable. I will be posting pictures in the social media of me shopping in Kathmandu hoping to spread the message that life has come back to normal. People are going about their daily chores and business is gradually picking up. I shopped for my granddaughter, sister and friends at Babar Mahal Revisited.The handicrafts, sculptures and the art work on display are praiseworthy and unique. The best way the international community can help is by visiting Nepal as tourism generates significantrevenue for the country. I, therefore, request everyone to continue to travel and visit Nepal at least once.
How has your experience of working with Live to Love, Panchakanya Group and the Kung
Fu nuns been?
I am impressed by the way people are working here to help each other. The good thing about this disaster is that people are coming together. You can witness a sense of solidarity among the victims and the ones helping them overcome this catastrophe.The Kung Fu nuns are doing a great job, they are organised and active. They are reaching out to the affected areas in Nepal and contributing in great measures in relief and rehabilitation.They truly practice what they preach.
In your opinion, what recovery path should tourism in Nepal take?
People should help each other at this time of need but they should also try to go back to normal life and get back to their jobs. Specifically, the tourism industry must work intensively in reconstruction and promotion. It is now time for the country to promote tourism aggressively andsend out a positive message to the world. There must be promotional campaigns highlighting what Nepal has to offer to visitors.
What message would you like to give to the people of Nepal?
Nepalis are known for their courage and bravery; they are also known for their resilience. I know that Nepalis have the ability to take this disaster in their stride. I want to tell each and every Nepali to take this as an opportunity to build a better and prosperous Nepal.I feel like I have a deep connection with this beautiful country and I hope to come back again. My best wishes arealways with Nepal.

An Academy Award winning actor, Susan Sarandon, has starred in films like
Stepmom’, ‘Atlantic City’, ‘The Calling’ among many other noted works. She
has also worked as the Goodwill Ambassador of UNICEF in 1999 and Food and
Agriculture Organisation (UN) in 2010.





Photos Courtesy: Skanda Gautam/ THT
(The printed version of this article was published on The Himalayan Times-TGIF on JUNE 5, 2015.)


Selfie with Susan Sarandon! The time of my life. Thank you Susan!

3 comments:

QR code payments: For financial inclusion

With innovation in the payment systems in Nepal, people are shifting gears from cash to digital payments. Cash remains the king, as 97 per c...