16/09/2016

How volunteering in a children home changed my life

When was the last time you forgot all your worries and gazed at the never ending, beautiful starry night? Do you have the memories of chasing colourful butterflies on bright afternoons? Do you recall dancing freely in the rain without any hesitations? When was the last time you laughed out loud in the real world?

We have forgotten to relish these little pockets of happiness because our best friends today are not human beings or nature but gadgets! Yes, we are so active in our virtual world that we rarely care for the people in our real lives. Moreover, we have forgotten who we really are and we don’t know how to narrate our own stories. And we don’t even realise it.

In the process of growing up I almost lost connection with my own roots. I was in my own little bubble and I did not tolerate anyone who would enter it. There was a time in my life when I did not like kids at all. I used to hide all my gadgets when they came to my place. ‘What are you doing? Why are you doing it? What is this? What is that?’ They are all full of annoying questions. And not to forget the damage that they do like spilling tea at the assignment I just completed, breaking my favourite statue my friend gifted me and what not! They got in my nerves.

At the same point of my life I had to volunteer in a Children Home. I was doing my BBA from Ace Institute of Management and we had to participate in social work week. I remember my friend telling me, “This one week can actually change lives.” I talked to myself, “What will happen in a week’s time? Nothing will change.”

Our coordinator had given us instructions before starting off. Since they were orphans we were not supposed to ask them their age, where they came from or about their family. I was taken aback by this fact. Our little brothers and sisters know how many candles are there on top of their cake. They proudly say that they are five or six years old. However, there are kids in this world who don’t know where they came from; celebrating their existence was a distant thing. These children were ignored and discarded. How would a child feel who doesn’t know the name of her father?
I was exposed to a world of little children, their faces radiated with hope but their eyes were empty, they were in deep pain.

There were 25 kids in the Children home and we had the responsibility of looking after one child. Lakpa was the child I had to look after. She was really cute, quiet and shy. Every morning I used to read stories to her, help her with her home works. She listened really carefully to me but she was not quite responsive. She did not ask questions, she just looked at my face as I read stories to her. When the kids went to school we used to clean their rooms, bathrooms and decorate their homes. The little things we did for them made them quite happy.



(-Lakpa smiles for the lens)

On the final day we organised a small programme for them. On this day I could see Lakpa who was quite shy initially mingling with other kids and even my friends. This is the day I realised that I can bring positive change in somebody’s life. Our relationship with the kids did not just end there. Every year we organised fund raising events and brought them small gifts whenever we visited them.
In my last visit to the Children home, Lakpa showed me something that melted my heart. It was the print of hers and mine palm that was done years back. She had kept it safely with her. Meeting these kids changed gradually changed my perspective towards life. I realised being a good human being with a compassionate heart and questioning spirit is above everything else. I started gradually becoming grateful for the things we possess and people we have in our lives. I love kids now. Moreover, my relationship with my parents grew better and stronger.

   

                                             (Precious smiles...)  

Laughing out loud in real life is important that typing LOL in troll photos in social media. Technology has made everything easier. Information is in the tip of our fingers but we have lost touch with nature.

Everything has a purpose; we meet people for a purpose. I realise visiting that orphanage and meeting Lakpa made me realise that touching lives of real people in the real world is more important than touch screen smart phones. 

                                         

This story was shared at the Story Yellers platform on September 14, 2016. Coincidentally it was Children's day. 

Grateful to be a part of the Story Yellers, thank you for the creating such a wonderful platform and giving a spotlight to my story. Writing my story gave me an opportunity to reflect on my life, look back and connect the dots. Delivering it in front of so many people has made me a little more confident. I delivered a presentation after ages and it felt amazing!

Listening to other speakers was a treat.

Thank you friends and family who were there to listen to our stories.





2 comments:

  1. it s certainly a life changing and touching experience for you all and for those kids as well...

    ReplyDelete

QR code payments: For financial inclusion

With innovation in the payment systems in Nepal, people are shifting gears from cash to digital payments. Cash remains the king, as 97 per c...