09/05/2016

I will keep writing

Do what you do the best with all your heart

                                               photo credit: prophecysixgogam.files.wordpress.com 
Abhilasha Rayamajhi

Kathmandu

Writing used to be my hobby. When I was 10, I wrote short stories and essays. At 16, I scribbled poems on life, love and passion. I have always contributed as a writer/editor for my college magazines. Age 19, I had already conceptualised radio shows, wrote my own scripts and presented it as well.
I am 22 now, and I work with the nation’s leading English National daily. In a span of one year I have written on significant issues such as reconstruction, economy, tourism and entrepreneurship in Nepal. I entered the world of journalism with full zeal and enthusiasm. The moment I was given the freedom to choose what I could write about I felt empowered.
My first article was published on May 24, 2015. I wrote about sustainable and disaster resistant households. When I first saw my name on the newspaper, I was in cloud nine! Moreover, the impact the story created was something that instilled a purpose in my work. Writing was no longer just a hobby since then. It became my life’s true calling. It is a medium through which I could express my thoughts and feelings.
However, the world of journalism is not as attractive as it looks from the outside. I am a positive person, but the negativity that I observed in the industry cannot be ignored. Most reporters I meet are unhappy regarding pay issues. It seems like it is quite difficult for a person to sustain in Nepal solely as a journalist. So, most of the reporters are also entrepreneurs, teachers or involved in other professions or have enough parental property to live a luxurious life and their job is just another time pass.
Another frequently discussed topic is ‘by line’. Most of the writers crave to see their name in newspapers, which is normal. Despite the low salary there is an attraction in this industry because you are well recognised. But it is said that by line is not a birth right of a journalist because the company pays you for your service. Ok, fair enough. But once I was shocked when a senior journalist complained about me for I got two by lines on the same page! As if I got credit for the work she did!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
It is truth in the fact that the overall work environment  for young people is not quite encouraging in Nepal. But dwelling on the problems or complaining is not a solution. So what is??

The solution is doing what you do the best with all your heart. For me it is, writing and I will keep writing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

QR code payments: For financial inclusion

With innovation in the payment systems in Nepal, people are shifting gears from cash to digital payments. Cash remains the king, as 97 per c...